• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

grip strength

blode

Bluelighter
Ok I don't really know where to post this topic but this place seems as good as any.
I have been working out for a while and all is going well except I thought i'd like to train my grip.
I bought a 10kg grip resistance trainer and do about 3 sets of 50 reps each night. I think my grip has become a little bit more powerful but I have been doing this for the last few months and no significant improvement has occurred.

So what should I do to help my grip power improve?
Is there a good website or a certain grip crusher I can get that will help?
any advice would be really appreciated, thanks!

crip crushers will help..captain crush for example..

what also i have found that works well is using thick-handled barbells and dumbbells...dont buy thin handled dumbbells, go to new yotk barbells.com and order those dumbbells and use them for farmers walks and single arm row motion...within no time your grip will go up big time...

static lifts also help...get a chinup bar or use anything you can hang from(i use rafters in my garage) and just rep out a few pullups and then on your last rep hold a static position while you are at the top of the bar...this will blast your forearms quite well..

I have found that doing kettlebell training has improved my grip strength dramatically over the past 6 months as well as strength in the rest of my body. I think this is because exercises like snatches and swings are done with high reps and involve you actively swinging the weight through an acceleration and deceleration phase. You need a strong grip to keep control of the weight.

I ordered some Heavy grip brand grippers, the intervals between weights arent as realistic or effective as the captains of crush grippers, but theyre a bit cheaper.

Strap a towel over something that you can hang yourself from and grip onto that instead of a bar or wood, towel lifts/holds are great for different situations of grip.

Farmers walks as well, Just grab two dumbells and walk with them for 30 seconds to 2 minutes. you'll be forced to squeeze harder every once in a while just the bear it. it's a useful excersize as well for day to day life, just walkin with weight

Google captain crush. Thats all you need.

I can close the no. 1? I beleive, so thats about 140lbs of pressure. Some guys got like 300lb grips. crazy dudes

i'm not a big grip guy, but i do a lot of push-ups on my knuckles and finger-tips and find that my hands are a lot stronger as a result.

^ +1

ive been conditioning my hands into weapons for a year now. my knuckles are much like small hammers, and my fingers are much like small spears. im confident that my claws could rip flesh and the organs behind it, should they grab ahold of something soft and malleable. my grip is thusly quite strong.

im training up to this level:

a97067_g042_10-finger.jpg

as i want to be able to puncture ribs, flesh, throats, etc with one finger, and simultaneously not have to worry as much about my weapons (fingers) becoming damaged by attacking weapons.

to start hand conditioning, you need nothing but your body. knuckle pushups and mantis finger pushups are all you need. versatility can be achieved by swapping the positioning for pushups, such as doing them upside down (vertical), with one hand, changing tempo, etc. its also not a muscle exercise either - you dont want to be absorbing the shock of impact with your muscles (meaning you arent doing pushups for your chest/arms/etc). you have to breathe very quickly, and perform the reps as fast as possible.

at first it puts such unbearable stress and pain on the joints that most would give up after the first try. it can take months for the pain to become tolerable (it never becomes painless). also, doing them improperly can lead to broken knuckles or fingers, so its best to get some instruction (theres youtube vids if u wanna go that route).

0.jpg

i can easily do 20+ reps on just my index fingers and thumbs. 40+ if i add the middle fingers. countless reps if im using all 5 fingers. i can pretty much do knuckle pushups all day.

a couple of months ago, one of the head instructors of one of harlem's more renowned karate academies challenged me to a pushup contest, just for fun. i nearly shit a brick when a teacher of many decades even considered lining up next to me in anything, and took him up on it. i had to use just index finger and thumbs, but he was doing thumbs only, and did like 1.5x as many as me before popping up and just smiling, shaking my hand, and walking off.

there are of course gimmick items that will increase your grip, but your body is all you need to use to get your grip at its maximum potential. why settle for some cute toy that gives you the appearance of a strong hand, when you can just strengthen your hands for real any time, any place, any where?

two-finger-zen is the ultimate hand conditioning discipline:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LkhVeW7VV0

Last edited:
do you know of some good videos/instruction for the more advanced push-ups (one, two fingers)? i've gotten down to three pretty confidently but definitely became aware of the joint/bone danger when i tried just thumb and index finger.

mantis pushups look like this:

showImage.aspx

you dont do them like a normal pushup, its like a circular-forward motion. puts maximum pressure on ur fingers and lessens the work for ur muscles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCPi0BRiQBs
^^ something like this wing chun guy is doing, but a full circle insted of a half circle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG0k_HInSSg
^^ while this guy's form is great, he is *not* doing mantis pushups, as he is doing flat handed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eITzzsxvwFc
^^ these are *not* mantis pushups (note the flat handed technique). however, if u did this on ur fingers, its an even better hand conditioning exercise (experienced level only).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0LVeQ5wVrc
this dude is just plain badass

youre doing it right if after about 5 years you look like this:
tumblr_kw98fvpidi1qzu84ro1_500.jpg

really dig the mantis push-ups . . those tiger and two-finger push-ups are no fucking joke though. got my one-hands down pretty easy, but one-hand five fingers is A LOT harder than i thought.